The 5 Simple Steps of the Restoration Process After a Fire
Tarping and boarding services in a Douglas County home
The 5 Simple Steps of the Restoration Process After a Fire
Once you’ve been the unfortunate victim of a fire in your home, you may feel overwhelmed by events. Those feelings are normal, but there are active steps you can take to begin to put your home – and your life – back together. If you have homeowner’s insurance in Douglas County, or Lyon & Storey Counties, you will be far better off if you leave the fire cleanup process to an experienced, professional smoke cleaning and soot damage restoration company. Once you contact them, they have a precise order to ensure your home is returned to the original condition:
- Inspect and assess the damage.
- Board up and tarp to prevent further damage.
- Water removal and drying.
- Removal of soot and smoke residue.
- Final cleaning and sanitizing.
Inspection and Assessment
The company will send out a team of professional inspectors to determine the best course of action and what tools they need to complete the job. During the fire cleanup process, they will determine if wiring and pipes have been impacted, the extent of smoke damage and any hazardous conditions.
Board-Up and Tarping
The immediate priority after a fire is to prevent any further damage. Boards and tarps provide an excellent barrier to elements and would-be thieves.
Water Removal and Drying
Air circulation equipment, including fans and negative pressure devices, will speed up this essential step. Dehumidifiers are also used to get the moisture out of walls and flooring as fast as possible. Then a further assessment is made to determine what can be saved and what must be replaced.
Soot and Smoke Cleaning
This takes specialized equipment and techniques that experienced fire cleanup personnel have to complete the job. Done correctly, the odor of smoke should be completely eliminated.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
All exposed surfaces and personal items that were smoke and soot damaged will be restored or replaced during the final fire cleanup process. Air scrubbers and fogging devices may also be used. Once complete, a home in Douglas County, Nevada can be just as beautiful as it was the day you moved in!
Call SERVPRO at (775) 588-2355 if you have any questions.
Moisture Control For High Risk Buildings
EPA Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings Indoor Air Quality Publication
In 2008 the EPA published Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings which outlines the importance of proper structural drying to avoid mold growth especially in "high risk" buildings including schools and commercial buildings.
In the article the EPA suggests, "It is impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment. However, mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling moisture indoors".
The most effective way to control moisture indoors is to:
- Fix plumbing that cause frequent leaks.
- Stay mindful of wet spots caused by reoccurring condensation.
- Keep HVAC drip pans flowing properly by clearing any obstructions and maintaining them regularly.
- Ensure dryers are vented to the outside.
- Maintain indoor humidity to 30-50% where possible.
- Immediately clean and properly dry any wet areas.
- Do not let building foundations remain wet for prolonged periods of time.
- Have a remediation plan or Emergency Ready Profile on hand from SERVPRO to be prepared to quickly and effectively remediate any water damages.
The EPA also recommends in their publication:
"The Key to Mold Control is Moisture Control!
- When addressing mold problems, don’t forget to address the source of the moisture problem, or the mold problem may simply reappear!
- Remember to check for high humidity and condensation problems as well as actual water leaks, maintenance issues, and HVAC system problems.
- Protect the health and safety of the building occupants and remediators. Consult a health professional as needed. Use PPE and containment as appropriate when working with mold."
Always consult with a licensed remediation company, like SERVPRO of South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Douglas County, and Lyon & Storey Counties at (775) 588-2355 if you suspect you have a moisture problem or had a recent water loss.
Does Your Business Have a Plan?
Will your business recover after a disaster?
How quickly your company can get back to business after a hurricane, fire, or flood often depends on the emergency planning done beforehand. The global pandemic is another emergency situation that has affected almost every business in the United States this year. The regular occurrence of natural disaster demonstrates the importance of being prepared for any emergency. Only 50% of businesses are able to reopen following a disaster. While each situation is unique, your organization can be better prepared if you plan carefully, put emergency procedures in place and practice for all kinds of emergencies. This year, a big focus is on implementing social distancing measures and letting your customers know that you have a new, higher standard of clean to protect their health. Learn about our program providing professional cleaning services: Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Basic measures business owners and managers can take to begin preparing for any kind of disaster.
Develop a Business Continuity Plan
Begin by identifying operations that are critical to survival and recovery. Then carefully assess your internal and external functions to determine which staff, material, procedures, and equipment are absolutely essential to keep the business operating.
Review Insurance Coverage
Understand what your policy does and does not cover. Check with your provider about things such as, physical losses, flood coverage, and business interruption. Inadequate coverage can lead to major financial loss.
Prepare Your Emergency Plan
Communication with your employees is central before, during, and after a disaster. Be sure to share emergency information with your staff.
Practice the Emergency Plan
The ability to evacuate workers and customers effectively can save lives. Establish evacuation producers and ensure your staff knows the route.
Secure Your Facility and Equipment
Install exit signs, fire extinguishers, and smoke alarms and detectors in appropriate areas.
Improve Cyber Security
By using anti-virus software, firewalls, and secure passwords, this will better protect your business’s data and information.
Locally Owned, with National Resources
SERVPRO of Douglas County, Carson City, South Lake Tahoe, and Lyon & Storey Counties is locally owned and operated so we are part of your community too. When you have a fire, flooding, water emergency, or need professional cleaning and disinfecting, we’re already nearby and ready to help.
As cleaning and property damage specialists, we have the experience, the expertise, and the advanced training that enables us to get your property restored thoroughly and your business ready to reopen quickly. Call (775) 588-2355
SERVPRO is faster to any size disaster because we know what an impact quick action has during a property disaster recovery.
When changes in weather cause storm property damage our crews are always here to help, with fast and effective action to minimize damages.
A quick response and cleanup is key to a successful storm damage restoration.
When rain and wind comes to local Tahoe, Truckee, Reno, and Lyon County communities causing fallen trees, damages to roofs and flooding to basements, our local SERVPRO team of property restoration specialists is ready to help. We have years of experience handling disaster cleanup and mitigation, we know how important it is to be prepared, our SERVPRO teams are ready and always prepared to handle any size property disaster. Contacting SERVPRO of Douglas County, Carson City, South Lake Tahoe, and SERVPRO of Lyon & Storey Counties for immediate service after you experience a flood or water damage can be the difference between a quick cleanup and mitigation or more costly and intrusive restoration, construction and mold remediation services. Our Emergency Service Team technicians are available 24-7 with to help cleanup and repair your storm and flood property damage. Our priority is providing quick and effective service and solutions to restore your property and belongings, “Like it never even happened.”
It’s critical to take quick action and call our SERVPRO team to begin taking steps to stop the damage from becoming an even bigger disaster. Our professionals first assess the severity of the situation and determine the full extent of the storm, flooding or additional water damage. Restoring your home or business quickly, takes specialized equipment and highly skilled IICRC professionals. Our team closely inspects the damaged areas; measuring the moisture content, humidity and temperature to assess the full extent of the damage. They provide a step-by-step solution to restore and repair your property and contents to help minimize additional damages.
OUR LONG ISLAND STORM & WATER MITIGATION SERVICES INCLUDE
• Water Extraction
• Drying of affected areas, including walls, carpets and furniture
• Cleaning and Restoration of affected possessions
• Remediating mold and mildew
• Reconstruction and Repairs
Our SERVPRO Storm Team has the experience and resources to handle your storm property damage quickly and professionally. We know what comes next after the storm and we are prepared 24-7 with Emergency help when you need us! Call our cleanup, restoration and repair teams today at (775) 588-2355.
SERVPRO Commercial Air Duct Cleaning Service offers surprising benefits to your Truckee/Tahoe Business
Our SERVPRO commercial cleaning specialists are familiar with all types of commercial and industrial HVAC/air duct systems.
Business owners and managers are busy. Countless daily tasks and emergency situations make paying attention to routine maintenance difficult at times. Turning your attention annually to your commercial HVAC system and air duct system, including performing scheduled inspections, maintenance and cleaning services, is crucial to keeping your operations running efficiently.
There are many benefits to having our SERVPRO of South Lake Tahoe, Douglas County, Carson City, Lyon & Storey Counties commercial cleaning professionals perform an air duct, vent and register cleaning at your Tahoe/Truckee commercial building.
Commercial Air Duct Cleaning Benefits:
- Reduce energy costs for your business
- Reduce the potential for mold growth
- Improve indoor air quality
- Increase air circulation and flow
- Increase your commercial system performance
- Extend HVAC equipment life
Whether your focus is eliminating contaminants, dust, debris, and other harmful pollutants to improve your buildings indoor air quality, or you want to extend the life and efficiency of your HVAC and air duct system; SERVPRO professional commercial HVAC/air duct cleaning services could benefit your business. According to the US Department of Energy, 25 to 40 percent of the energy used for heating or cooling is wasted due to air pollutants and other dirt and debris clogging up residential/commercial air ducts.
Things that decrease air flow in your commercial air duct system:
- Obstructed condenser unit
- Blocked vents and registers
- Clogged filters
- Blocked or leaky ducts
Our SERVPRO technicians have advanced training to help resolve potential air flow concerns and accurately clean and remove the buildup of dust/debris, contaminants, mold spores, and particulates circulating throughout your commercial air duct system. Our crews use a variety of specialized equipment to overcome years of buildup and pollutants within your air duct system, including high-powered HEPA vacuums, negative air machines and whisking brushes to help remove debris and mold spores from internal surfaces. Our goal is to provide a thorough commercial air duct cleaning and remove built-up sediment and pollutants from your system, improving efficiency and indoor air quality.
Why is Cleaning Your Commercial Air Ducts Important?
The air ducts in your Tahoe, Truckee, or Reno commercial building serve an important function, bringing heating and cooling throughout your facility as well as circulating the air through a filter, which cleans out some of the dust particles before reaching the rooms in which air is breathed by you and your employees.
Air Duct Cleaning Improves the Quality of Indoor Air
By routinely having your air ducts cleaned you can significantly decrease the number of airborne molecules in your office, all while avoiding weighty fees for other air purifying solutions. Air ducts, like everything else in our office, collect dirt and debris. While filters may catch a lot of streaming debris, there is still a considerable amount of dust that settles within the ducts.
Air Duct Cleaning Conserves Energy
Air duct cleaning provides a beginning in optimizing your duct function, a properly and thoroughly cleaned HVAC system, can reduce the costs associated with running your HVAC system and increase the useful life of your air conditioner and furnace. Performing routine commercial air duct cleanings removes obstructions and improves airflow, helping your systems to work better, faster, and more efficiently, all while using less energy!
Your local SERVPRO specializes in cleaning commercial and industrial air ducts; contact our staff to schedule an inspection and estimate for your commercial cleaning solution. Our crews have experience, training and advanced equipment to restore your HVAC system to optimal performance. Our SERVPRO commercial cleaning specialists are familiar with all types of commercial and industrial HVAC/air duct systems, give us a call so we can get to work, and you can start experiencing the benefits a commercial air duct cleaning service can bring to your business!
Call (775) 588-2355
Sparks, TRIC, and East Reno Commercial Building Fire Damage Cleanup and Repair Service
SERVPRO can provide services to prevent further damage, help determine which items can be restored and rebuild your property completely.
Fire damage can have a devastating affect on local businesses.
SERVPRO is here to help, providing emergency and rebuild services to local property owners and managers in Sparks, TRIC, East Reno, Douglas County, and more.
Fires cause massive amounts of damage, destroying structural materials, business items, and bringing massive amounts of water damage, toxic chemicals, harmful soot pollution and unhealthy smoke levels to your property. First Responders often extinguish the flames quickly, but soot and smoke move more rapidly. The moment authorities permit you to reenter your building, the clock begins ticking on successful property restoration. SERVPRO of Douglas County, South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, and Lyon & Storey Counties understands the need for speed and assigns skilled technicians to your job within hours of your first call.
COMMON TYPES OF COMMERCIAL FIRE DAMAGE
• Burnt Structure; framing, roofing, doors, drywall, flooring and cabinets
• Office Property and Equipment; furniture, supplies and appliances
• Soot and Smoke Damage; HVAC unit, surfaces, air quality
• Odor; smoke and toxic chemicals from damaged structure and contents
• Water Damage; results of fire suppression system and local Fire Department efforts
• Mold Damage; water damage left untreated can quickly cause mold growth
Smoke and soot damage are especially invasive attacking every space of your commercial property, including areas far from the actual fire. The residue from the fire travels in the air, coating surfaces. This debris must be removed before it begins etching, distorting, discoloring, and disintegrating wood, carpeting, fabric, drywall, plastic, metal, and glass.
CONSIDER CLEANUP REQUIREMENTS: SERVPRO can provide services to prevent further damage, help determine which items can or cannot be refurbished and which structural elements do and do not need to be repaired or replaced.
SERVPRO is here to help repair commercial fire disasters
1. Secure your business site including board up and tarping services
2. Protect areas unaffected by the fire with barriers and storage if necessary
3. Assess the affected areas for a full scope of damages
4. Take a detailed inventory of damaged property and materials
5. Detect, neutralize, and remove harmful gases and toxic materials
6. Determine the best cleaning, repair and restoration solutions for your property
7. Restore, replace and repair building materials with our skilled building/restoration teams
SERVPRO has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial fire damage emergencies. Whether your fire emergency occurs in a restaurant, motel, public or office building, our crew will assess the damage in each room and plan proper procedures, using dry or wet cleaning strategies matched to the character of the residue found and the materials affected. Systematically, SERVPRO progresses through your business, room by room, to assure that all harm is reversed and the corrosive soot and smoke is permanently eliminated.
We answer the phone, ready to help with your property damage
As a leader in property damage restoration and repair services, we have helped countless families and businesses through very unpredictable and devastating residential and commercial property losses. We understand you may not know what to do in a disaster situation; SERVPRO can help by responding faster with professionals who can help you through the restoration process.
SERVPRO offers a Custom “EMERGENCY READY PROFILE” Preparation Service; one of our professionals will come to your commercial property and assess your proper emergency service solution, should you ever have a disaster in the future. The preparation process is quick and easy and makes the aftermath of a disaster simple, because all the details are assessable to our staff and technicians should you need us. The emergency ready profile also helps your staff know what to do in the event of an emergency, and where important safety items are located. We provide this service free of charge, so call us today at (775)-588-2355.
SERVPRO Wants To Restore Your Stateline Home
Mold in your home needs immediate attention - call the experts at SERVPRO today.
Why You Need SERVPRO For Mold Remediation In Your Stateline Home
At this time, mold is probably the last issue on the minds of folks in Stateline. However, while families are spending a lot of time together inside, it is important to make sure air ducts are cleaned and mold spores are not growing where it is nice and warm, endangering your family's health. While it may be too cold outside for many things to thrive, with enough moisture inside, mold can grow.
That is why many Stateline residents need mold remediation. Why call SERVPRO instead of another agency? No other business trains and equips its restoration teams to handle mold as we do. From certified inspectors to the latest tools for blasting mold out of a home, our company brings the best to every home or business building.
To determine the extent of a mold colony, our inspectors use air content meters to augment their visual inspection. The meters allow us to trace mold behind walls without drilling holes or compromising the drywall panels of the home’s interior.
Finding the extent of the colony’s growth also gives us the origin point. That is where we find the source of moisture that allowed the inert spores to expand and grow. After finding it, team members spray the area with an anti-fungal agent to kill the spores and then clean up both the mold and the water source.
In many cases, SERVPRO technicians can clean and remove mold using the anti-fungal cleaners and either wiping down or scraping the mold off affected surfaces. When the mold goes undetected over a long period, the mold layer can become very thick and penetrate surfaces, even the wood beams in ceiling and roof supports.
If that happens, team members use a new method called soda blasting to remove the mold. They use a specially designed high-pressure spray device to force sodium bicarbonate into a concentrated stream. It can clear out even deeply penetrated mold spores without compromising the integrity of building supports.
Regardless of how far mold has grown into your home or business, SERVPRO of Carson City / Douglas County / South Lake Tahoe / Lyon & Storey Counties has the training and equipment to clean and remove it. If you have seen mold or detect that distinctive, ‘musty’ odor, call us today at (775) 588-2355 to schedule an inspection.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
SERVPRO is here to help get you back to business.
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and healthy is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new, higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the bio-storm of COVID-19. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned*.
Extensive training and specialized products set SERVPRO commercial disinfecting apart
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
• Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
• Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
• Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Douglas County, Carson City, South Lake Tahoe, and Lyon & Storey Counties today at 775-588-2355 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Quick action cleanup and mitigation response, even in the storm of Covid-19
Property disaster events might be unpredictable, but our SERVPRO response and rapid cleanup and restoration service is reliable.
Even though the storm of Covid-19 is still amidst our cities, fire and flood damage can still happen. Emergency property damage can strike your home or business at any hour of the day or night. When you are dealing with fire, smoke, storm, flood or another type of property disaster, immediate action is crucial.
That’s why SERVPRO of South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Douglas County, and Lyon & Storey Counties is here to help. Our crews are ready to respond to your property emergency 24/7, 365 days a year. Yes, even at 2AM our highly trained staff and state-of-the-art equipment will respond to your building fire or facility flood. When you make the call, our staff is READY to take immediate action to help preserve as much of your property as possible and help to avoid additional damage and cleanup costs.
SERVPRO is a trusted leader in the property disaster recovery and restoration business, our on-call 24/7 emergency response teams are highly trained and experienced with all types of property disaster losses including fire, smoke, water, sewage, flood and storm damage. Our restoration professionals near you have 30 years of experience providing high-quality commercial and residential property disaster restoration and reconstruction services to local Carson City, Douglas County, South Lake Tahoe, and Lyon & Storey County communities every day.
Emergency Response Property Disaster Restoration Services
SERVPRO is committed to making the cleanup, restoration and rebuild process for our customers organized, efficient and successful, after a frustrating and confusing property disaster event. Whether your home or building sustained damages from a storm, flood, fire or water disaster, you’ll have trusted and compassionate professionals by your side. We will work with you to survey the extent of the property damage, develop a plan for cleanup, restoration and reconstruction.
Disaster restoration and repair is best left to professionals. Our SERVPRO professionals are skilled with the complexities of removing water and the water extraction, drying, dehumidifying, disinfecting and removal equipment required to complete your home or commercial building cleanup and repair properly. Our expert team has the experience, certifications, and equipment to complete any size restoration and rebuild project quickly, correctly, and affordably.
Some of our property restoration services include:
- Water Removal and Extraction: This important and often first step in the process involves us removing and extracting standing water from all areas of your property. Our SERVPRO technicians utilize industrial grade equipment to move large volumes quickly and efficiently to minimize long term hazards and damage.
- Property Drying: After the bulk of the water is removed hazardous levels of moisture can still exist in fibrous structural and aesthetic components in your home or business building. We utilize specialized equipment to pull moisture from the air to create an environment suitable for drying of these important pieces and may also attempt to speed the drying process with heat.
- Cleanup and Debris Removal: After water and moisture have been removed and dried it’s important to conduct thorough cleaning of the affected area to prevent future health hazards. Flooding from rivers and sewers can pose exceptional risks to health and welfare due to the silt and bacteria they carry. Our team will remove damaged items that are beyond repair.
- Soot and Smoke Mitigation: SERVPRO’s full-spectrum cleanup and restoration capabilities have many benefits when it comes to fire and smoke damage restoration. We often use air scrubbers to create negative air pressure to force contaminants through HEPA filters before exhausting to the outdoors. Air quality is improved, including the clearing of any fumes from cleaners or solvents used to remove protein-based soot from kitchen fires.
Our team provides professional and prompt emergency restoration services for all commercial businesses and homeowners. SERVPRO’s building services gives our location a unique opportunity to streamline the entire property restoration and recovery process, while mitigating challenges and providing quick and seamless professional service from start to finish.
If disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Douglas County, and Lyon & Storey Counties at (775) 588-2355.
Decontamination and Cleaning Guidelines for Reopening Your Building After Lockdown
While you prepare to reopen your facility, make sure proper safety guidelines are in place, and professional cleaning has been completed.
COVID-19 Decontamination and Cleaning Services
Americans miss conducting business as usual and Californians are no exception.
El Dorado County has gotten the state OK to reopen more quickly.
The California Department of Public Health posted documents from Butte and El Dorado counties on its website with a note that “These counties can move more quickly through Stage 2 opening sectors once state guidance is posted for that sector.”
Businesses and offices that are ready to open must do so with care and caution to ensure the health and safety of employees and guests.
Many businesses don’t have professional cleaning and sanitization plans in place. It’s wise to put together a best practices strategy including updated cleaning guidelines for virus spread prevention efforts.
Priority #1: What Every Owner and Employer Needs to Know
You need not navigate the reopening process on your own. Comparing notes with others in your industry helps ensure that all your bases are covered.
Right on time the National Restaurant Association recently released a publication on COVID-19 reopening guidance. Check associations for industry-specific reopening guidelines.
Below are some tips for cleaning and sanitizing as businesses reopen:
- The entire facility should be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized (especially if it has been shut down for a while). Special attention should be given to decontamination of “high touch” areas. However, complete cleaning guidelines should also include sanitizing areas that are rarely touched. Ensure that disinfectant products are the appropriate strength and that they are used properly for best effectiveness.
- Disinfect everything at tables between patron uses, especially high touch areas.
- Establish a schedule that includes more frequent cleanings on the back end as well as the front end.
- Check restrooms regularly. Clean and sanitize more often in relation to how frequently each is used.
- Make hand sanitizer readily available to guests. Consider installing touchless hand sanitizing dispensers.
This is only a preliminary list. Communicate with your staff to explore anything relevant that addresses the special hygiene needs of your building.
Priority #2: Update Existing Policies and Procedures
Our way of life has completely changed this year and so must our practices. It’s more important than ever for management to do their part to prevent virus spread in public use areas.
To properly adjust to a new normal, make sure your updated protocol includes the following:
- Social distancing promotion with posted reminders and floor markers. Reduce the number of people standing around in waiting areas by offering wait alternatives (like texting them when it’s their turn).
- Clearly outline expectations for use of staff PPE (personal protective equipment like masks and gloves).
- Set clear guidelines regarding employee health practices including comprehensive sanitizing and disinfecting schedule/instructions.
- Minimize inventory “grab and go” food coolers.
Come together as a team to construct a comprehensive and updated safety protocol. Listen to feedback and concerns from your staff to account for the needs of your particular operations. Use clear and consistent communication to ensure everyone is on board with the updated practices.
Priority #3: Monitor Employee Health and Provide Proper Safety Equipment
Below are some recommendations on how to direct your staff to ensure they are in the best condition to come into work.
- Make it clear that sick employees should not come to work.
- Monitor staff for signs and symptoms of illness. Pre-work screenings may be necessary such as taking temperature to make sure the employee doesn’t have a fever.
- Establish rules for staff who become ill. Per CDC guidelines, a worker with symptoms of COVID should self-isolate for 7 days, and is not ready to return to work unless symptom-free for at least 3 days (without the use of medications like fever reducers).
- Establish hand hygiene protocol including:
- How often they are expected to wash their hands,
- Appropriate use of hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the face with your hands.
Employees play the most important role in your business. Take special care of them so that they can take care of your facility and your operations.
Priority #4: Implement Social Distancing
While some government officials are starting to roll back certain lockdown rules to allow businesses to gradually reopen, they continue to be adamant about social distancing and protecting senior citizens.
Here are some suggestions for social distancing success:
- Post friendly reminders about social distancing best practices.
- Adjust your floorplan to reinforce the current state rules for facility capacity (such as a temporary removal of some tables and seating).
- Limit the amount of people in the facility.
- Make sure seating areas are at least six feet apart.
- Rope off or install barriers between seating areas.
- Encourage cooperation from your guests and have a trained employee monitor the capacity in the reception and dining areas. It helps to have a monitor who has excellent customer service and communication skills. Some guests may not respond well to restrictions.
- Reserve space for delivery personnel so that they can maintain space and expediently serve those who need to stay home.
- Post advisories that people who are sick or symptomatic are not allowed to enter your building. Encourage calling or doing business from home if possible.
- Provide and instruct public-facing staff to wear face protection.
- If possible, install transparent barriers at counters for public-facing staff.
- Reduce physical contact by encouraging/incentivizing mobile ordering, use of POS tablets, and contactless payment. Ideally, employees should be minimally handling credit cards, currency, and machines.
- Furnish hand sanitizer dispensers for guests (contactless if possible).
- Design a strategy that prevents guests from congregating. This includes floor markings, encouraging people to wait elsewhere (in cars), opening additional entrances/exits, adjusting traffic flow from bathrooms. The goal is to keep people apart as much as possible.
- See to it that the staff aren’t working too closely together. Space them six feet apart whenever possible. This means making space between workstations.
- Limit how many employees occupy the break room at a time.
- See to it that the staff is aware of important social distancing policies with training and prominent notices.
Preventing the spread also means preventing future lockdowns. When everyone does their part, we can avoid more closures.
How Businesses Can Instill Customer Confidence
Stepping into a store, restaurant, or other facility for the first time in months may feel a bit surreal. The first step of helping the public ease back into doing business is to reassure patrons that the establishment is safe.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Conduct a complete and thorough cleaning using a professional cleaning company such as SERVPRO of Douglas County, Carson City, and South Lake Tahoe. The confidence a sparkling clean building brings will shine through from the management to the staff and finally to the customers.
- Be transparent about your cleaning practices. When customers see staff diligently following conscientious cleaning guidelines, they will see first-hand evidence of your attention to cleanliness.
- Communicate your updated health, safety, and cleaning policies around your establishment and on social media. This lets people know exactly what measures are being taken to prevent the spread of illness.
Easing into this new normal is an adjustment for all involved. With a little empathy and thoughtful communication, you put your customers at ease through the reopening process.
Follow Your State or City’s Guidelines on How to Reopen
While the governor’s orders are expected to override any orders from local authority, it may be wise to adhere to what local officials advise.
Each state and city has a different timeline for when they plan to reopen businesses. Check your county’s site for updated information.
SERVPRO’s Coronavirus Cleaning and Decontamination Services for Commercial Buildings and Local Businesses
We have no doubt that you put full trust in your staff to do quality cleaning. However, your staff may not have the use of the best EPA registered disinfectants in the industry or have enough personal protective equipment to go around.
SERVPRO of Douglas County, Carson City, South Lake Tahoe, and Lyon & Storey Counties has the professional deep cleaning experience and all the equipment needed for our IICRC trained technicians to comprehensively sanitize your facility for reopening.
What we have to offer:
- 24/7 service for biohazard cleanup emergencies or overnight scheduling that works around your operating hours.
- SERVPRO is the most recognized cleaning, decontamination, and restoration company in the country. Our disinfectants are trusted by international airports and federal agencies to clean their properties. We have effective disinfecting services for any sized facility and for any kind of situation.
- Professional bioremediation services to clean, disinfect, and sanitize the property while also protecting our MVPs - our technicians. We practice uncompromising safety and hygiene standards.
- We apply CDC-recommended & EPA-registered disinfectants on all porous and non-porous surfaces.
- We hand-wipe all moisture-sensitive surfaces with a disinfectant-wet towelette.
- We hand-wipe all high-touch surfaces.
- We provide you with a certification of your property’s cleanup as completed by SERVPRO.
- Social media announcement from us announcing that your business has been cleaned and is ready to re-open.
- Refresh services include:
- Carpet cleaning
- Upholstery cleaning
- Air duct cleaning with new a/c filters
- HEPA air scrubbing
SERVPRO of Douglas County, Carson City, South Lake Tahoe, and Lyon & Storey Counties is honored to serve the community alongside our local businesses, state offices, and more. We’re here to support the safe and efficient reopening of your facility.
Call us today at (775) 588-2355